Saturday, September 13, 2008

Extremes

Once again, we are glued to the weather channel watching yet another storm hit the Gulf Coast. This has been a very active Hurricane season here in the south. We are experiencing rain and some wind here in North Louisiana from the outer bands of Ike even as I write. I learned this week, that what we think of as "extreme weather" is necessary in nature. Hurricanes help distribute heat over the earth and even though I do not like the damage they bring, I am thankful nature is doing what God intended. Otherwise, I might end up living in a desert or on a polar ice cap (maybe a little "extreme" but you get my drift).

That got me to thinking about other "extremes" in life. Most of us would choose a life with no financial problems, no health concerns, no broken relationships, basically no difficulties of any kind. I have a milestone birthday coming up, and as I reflect over my life, the things that stand out the most are the "extremes" whether good or bad. Death of a parent, marriage, moving away from family, birth of a child, retirement, cancer, all these things and many others, made a permanent impact on my life. I am truly thankful for those refreshing times when things go smoothly and all is right with the world. But working through the "extremes" has been what has shaped my character, humbled my spirit, increased my faith and made me strong.

The best thing about dealing with the "extremes" is I haven't had to deal with them alone. My husband has been faithfully at my side for almost 40 years now. But more importantly, my God has walked with me even longer and He is always faithful. If I have learned nothing else in my life, I have learned that nothing is a surprise to God and whatever "extreme" comes my way, He will see me through.
F. W. Boreham wrote: "We make our decisions, and then our decisions turn around and make us." Whatever your "extreme" today, good or bad, I pray you will decide to let it make you stronger, more humble, and in the end, grateful for the learning experience.

1 comment:

Jon and Ashley Bradberry said...

I love, love, love this post! You hit it right on... and of course I love the fact that I was "down the street" and you didn't even know it :) Love you!