Monday, September 26, 2011

What's for Supper?

There is only David and me at home these days and  
I have a hard time coming up with creative menus.
Why is it easier to cook for a crowd than just two?

My friend Gloria made this salad from Ina Garten for one of our get togethers.
The Barefoot Contessa is one of my favorite cooking shows
so I knew it would be good.


It's become one of our favorite salads. 
The flavor is wonderful and it is easy to put together.


Not only does it taste good but it is so pretty!
I'm sharing the recipe in case you are looking
 for something new and tasty to prepare.

Guacamole Salad

                  1      pint grape tomatoes, halved
                  1      yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2 inch diced
                  1      (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
                 1/2   cup diced red onion
                 2      tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded
                1/2   teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
                1/4   cup good olive oil
                1/4   cup freshly squeezed lime juice (1 large or 2 small)
                 1      teaspoon kosher salt
                1/2   teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
                1/2   teaspoon minced garlic
                1/4   teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
                 2      ripe Hass avacados, seeded, peeled and 1/2 inch diced

Place tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers,
and lime zest in a large bowl.
Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper,
garlic and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables.
Toss well. Just before you are ready to serve, add the avocados.
 Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.

I thought my niece Ashley would especially love this salad.
She lives in Florida and has these wonderful fresh vegetables year around.

So, I have the salad for supper......now what am I going to have with it?
Any ideas?










7 comments:

Karen said...

Well that DOES look pretty!!! Throw some grilled chicken in and make it a meal!!!

love ya
lilsis

Karen said...

p.s. How about mixing in a little fresh pineapple?!YUM!!!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

This sounds delicious. Grilled chicken and french bread would be perfect with it.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Carolyn, I don't know how I missed seeing this post but glad I didn't miss this recipe. It looks and sounds so good!

I'm going to be mentioning you in my blog for an award. I hesitate in passing these along because I never know for sure how bloggers will feel about them! And I don't like leaving anyone out either. If you like it, copy and past the button and put in your sidebar and if you don't want it...that's okay, too. I understand!

Have a good weekend!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Oops...that should read *paste, not past!

Deanna said...

Hi Carolyn. I popped over fromt the Farmer's Daughter just in time to catch this great sounding recipe. There are only two of us rambling around this big ol house too, so I'm also always looking for new quick and easy recipes.

I'm with Mississippi Artist, I'd season some chicken breasts, throw them on the grill and call it supper. Yum!


Deanna

Shug said...

Visiting from over at Chery's place, "The Farmer's Daughter"....
like your blog and this dish is dlicious looking...
Blessings,
shug